Contact, formerly Contact a Family Lambeth is a local project working with families who have a child or children (0-19 years of age) with any disability or additional needs living in the borough of Lambeth.
We are part of the national charity Contact a Family, the leading provider of advice, information and support to parents and carers of disabled children.
HOW WE CAN HELP
We provide one to one advice, information and guides on a range of issues. These include rights and entitlements, welfare benefits, social services, education, nursery places, leisure, health issues and specific condition information.
Putting parent carers in touch with services
We liaise with social services, education and other statutory and voluntary agencies on behalf of parents and carers.
Working with children’s centres
We work across children’s centres in the borough covering North, South-East and South-West Lambeth. We provide a range of activities and support families to use the centres.
Workshops and events
We organise a range of workshops, drop-ins, pamper sessions and seminars for parents.
Local newsletter for families
We produce a regular newsletter which includes local news and future events.
We put families in touch with each other for mutual support. We do this through parent groups, advice sessions, workshops, drop-ins and direct family work.
Supporting parent participation and consultation
We support parent carers in Lambeth to have a voice in how local services for disabled children and their families are developed and delivered – through consultations and through supporting the work of Lambeth Active! Parents and Carers Forum. Search for us on Facebook under Lambeth Active Parents and Carers or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Getting in touch
You can contact us directly or ask a professional to make a referral. We will then send you an information pack. Also, we will invite you to come to a parent group where you can meet the staff and other parents and carers and hear about the kind of services we provide. You can reach us Mon-Fri between 9.30 am-5.30 pm. Tel 020 7326 5270
Contact a Family
Contact a Family can also offer parents:
- A freephone helpline for parents and family members. Our parent advisers can advise on any aspect of caring for a disabled child on 0808 808 3555
- A website with information for parents on over 400 medical conditions and their support.
- A family-linking service. You can link up with parents of children with the same disability or rare condition at our website www.makingcontact.org. Families can also call our Freephone helpine to link with other families.
- Free guides for parents on a range of information about caring for your child.
- Advice and help for parents who wish to start or join local or national support groups.
- Annually updated Directory of specific conditions, rare disorders and support groups across the UK.